Bren Brightwell, ★★★★★
Ow. Ow, my tongue. Where's the milk? Ow.
So I made some hot sauce. It is potent. I can't wait to try too much of it on tacos.
What's in it
- A medium-sized onion
- Two cloves of garlic
- 2tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1tbsp dried chilli flakes
- A dash of Henderson's Relish
- 1 mug rice wine vinegar
- A squirt of tomato purée
- 1tbsp ground cayenne (yes, tablespoon)
- 1tbsp ground sundried habanero (yes, tablespoon)
- 1tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 naga bhut jolokhia, aka ghost chilli (put some gloves on, seriously)
- Splash of olive oil
What you do
- Chop coarsely and fry the garlic onions with the relish, chilli flakes and sugar until they start to caramelise.
- Pour into a jug with as much of the syrup as you can, add the vinegar and tomato and blend to a thick paste with a soup blender.
- Add the ground peppers, stir.
- Chop the naga into chunks (glooooooves), throw into the jug and blend until fine. Mind your eyes. Really, if some gets in your eyes, call an ambulance.
- Decant into a clean jam jar (it makes about 200ml) and keep in the fridge.
It's mouthwateringly sweet and pungent and eyewateringly hot. Not hot like Tabasco, which is all pepper, all the time, right there. It's that deep, smoky warmth you smell as you round the corner and then your house is on fire.